Thursday, June 08, 2006

Special

Special.... That is a word that can evoke many feelings in a person. But what bout when it comes in the from of special needs? I have a son who is 6 and the love of my life. He is the sweetest boy ever born and I am infinitely lucky to have him in my life. He has what has been diagnosed as developmental delay with ADHD. Developmental delay is a blanket diagnoses for delays in many areas. Which in a nutshell means he has speech, fine motor, and learning delays. We are looking at schools to put him in for first grade which is a huge milestone for any kid. I have never had to go through a lot of the emotional things a parent of a child with special needs go through up until this point. I have always known my son was a special needs child and he has always been in special needs classrooms for pre-school and kindergarten, but they have always worked out well for him and life has been easy until now. Well I have been observing classrooms this week to find the best place for my child. And I am quickly finding out what the emotional rollorcoaster a parent of a special needs child goes through. I have never been made to feel like my child was a problem until recently and I don't know what to do there is this awful feeling of helplessness and hopelessness. I left the meeting with this awful knot in the pit of my stomach and got in my car and preceded to cry for the next hour. I am not even sure what to do with these feelings it horrible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home