Monday, August 13, 2007

The flipped switch

I have been suffering from anxiety and major panic attacks lately. It started about a month before my wedding when the final planning and the wait to make sure everything came together was going on. I thought that it would pass and that I would get over it as soon as all the wedding stress was over... well not so much I saw my doctor before the wedding they gave me something to get me through the next month and then I had a follow up. It didn't go away she said because of my age and the stress a switch may have been flipped and I may have anxiety now, and they put me on a maintenance medication which I stink at taking anything everyday I have tried with vitamins and I have tried "the pill" and I have tried even with antibiotics when I was sick I am awful at this.
Well stupid me hasn't been taking it and yesterday I had the WORST panic attack ever it lasted hours and at one point it was so awful I was shaking and crying, felt like I couldn't breath.

I am posting to see if anyone else out there has them and what they do is there a good way to control them or if you are having one any techniques to calm yourself down so that you don't make it worse or have it last damn near all day.

I never realized how big a deal this was I have heard people say they had panic attacks and I thought they meant normal freak outs, that they couldn't handle stress well but this is crazy you can't control and it you feel like you are having a freaking heart attack.

7 Comments:

Blogger Middle Girl said...

I don't, but my mom and my gf suffers them. Mom more often and for a much longer period of time.

Medication is generally her only real remedy. Meditation & other calming techniques before the attackshelps the gf avoid them, usually.

Mom takes medication everyday, the gf only as needed.

As with most conditions, diet and exercise have some impact. Getting plenty of rest is helpful as well.

If you take anything else-be mindful of drug interactions.

{{in my thoughts}}

10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

During my senior year of high school, I had a space of time where I had panic attacks. Mine always came at night - I'd wake up hyperventillating, chest pains, thought I was going to die. My doctor helped me establish a routine to wind down at the end of the day. I'd listen to soft music sort of meditate by clearing my mind. It also helped if I would lie down, close my eyes and go from my feet to my head, focusing on each body part - contracting each muscle then releasing it. It actually helped.

I hope it gets better.

11:42 AM  
Blogger Bammy said...

I had the same off and on generally starting in high school.. when i finally got insurance.. my doc put me on some anti depressants.. they killed them off.. in a short time.. i quit talking the pills.. and come to think of it.. havet had one since.. and thats been.. ohhhh.... 5 or 6 years... it was Paxil.. btw.. but.. i more quit because it killed my sex drive.. lol.. fortunately.. the attacks stopped too

3:24 PM  
Blogger Rissamama3 said...

Only Daughter; What type of calming techniques does your mom use? I take a med every day and I have an extra for when I am having an attack. I even have them when I am sleeping I have asked everyone in the house to remind me to take my medicine because I am aweful at that but it needs to be done

Leslie; I actually use that technique for when I go to bed because I have sleeping issues too I get to sleep but I have overactive dreams and I roll and talk so even though I am sleeping my mind and body aren't resting, so my doctor taught me that technique it helps when I am not really stressed but if I am there is no stopping me.

Bammy; I take zoloft for now and it hasn't interupted my sex drive the attacks do that!! I am hoping it's a temporary situation but we shall see!

8:16 AM  
Blogger Middle Girl said...

To relax, gf turns off everything, sits (or lies down), closes her eyes and concentrates on breathing, listening only to the sound of her breathing.

She tries to relax, truly and deeply before turning in at night, as the attacks generally rock her awake in the middle of the night.

As far as remembering to take meds daily, what about a note--on the bathroom/bedroom mirror (dry / erase marker might work) or on the fridge.

Peace.

10:11 AM  
Blogger r.d. said...

Once, years ago I went through some minor ones but they freaked me out because i didn't know what the hell it was. After many heart related tests (no doctor even thought of anxiety) I called a friend of mine who was a Phychologist at the time and who worked with tons of people with high anxiety. I remember her telling me that a panic attack is something we can manage on our own. As soon as you feel it coming on you need to really talk to yourself and believe that YOU ARE FINE. But you have to catch it the second you feel it. It's controlling your mind which is in turn making your body react. It's tough but it's possible. I don't believe in medication for anxiety- a change in life is better (if you can)Don't worry, you won't have them forever. I say definaely try some meditation and getting in touch with what's going on for you. We are ultimately stronger than our symptoms. Good luck.

There's always Rescue Remedy to help with the daily struggle. (rescueremedy.com)

7:11 AM  
Blogger The Mad Hatter said...

O darling I'm sorry.

Never experienced this but my ma's sister suffers terribly ... she plans to go out ... gets half way up the road and has one ... she says its the worst thing ever ... fairies mum also suffers from 'em and has had to be taken into hospital a few times to calm her down. I feel for you darling and again I'm sorry :-(

Love and kisses xXxXxXxXxXx

6:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home